The Appropriate Commission shall, subject to the provisions of this Act, specify
the terms and conditions for the determination of tariff, and in doing so, shall
be guided by the following, namely:-
54 of 1948 14 of 1998
- the principles and methodologies specified by the Central Commission for determination
of the tariff applicable to generating companies and transmission licensees;
- the generation, transmission, distribution and supply of electricity are conducted
on commercial principles;
- the factors which would encourage competition, efficiency, economical use of the
resources, good performance and optimum investments;
- safeguarding of consumers' interest and at the same time, recovery of the cost of
electricity in a reasonable manner;
- the principles rewarding efficiency in performance;
- multi year tariff principles;
- that the tariff progressively reflects the cost of supply of electricity and also,
reduces and eliminates cross-subsidies within the period to be specified by the
- the promotion of co-generation and generation of electricity from renewable sources
- the National Electricity Policy and tariff policy:
Provided that the terms and conditions for determination of tariff under the Electricity
(Supply) Act, 1948, the Electricity Regulatory Commission Act, 1998 and the enactments
specified in the Schedule as they stood immediately before the appointed date, shall
continue to apply for a period of one year or until the terms and conditions for
tariff are specified under this section, whichever is earlier.
Determination of Tariff.
Determination of tariff by bidding process.
- The Appropriate Commission shall determine the tariff in accordance with provisions
of this Act for –
- supply of electricity by a generating company to a distribution licensee: Provided
that the Appropriate Commission may, in case of shortage of supply of electricity,
fix the minimum and maximum ceiling of tariff for sale or purchase of electricity
in pursuance of an agreement, entered into between a generating company and a licensee
or between licensees, for a period not exceeding one year to ensure reasonable prices
- transmission of electricity ;
- wheeling of electricity;
- retail sale of electricity. Provided that in case of distribution of electricity
in the same area by two or more distribution licensees, the Appropriate Commission
may, for promoting competition among distribution licensees, fix only maximum ceiling
of tariff for retail sale of electricity.
- The Appropriate Commission may require a licensee or a generating company to furnish
separate details, as may be specified in respect of generation, transmission and
distribution for determination of tariff.
- The Appropriate Commission shall not, while determining the tariff under this Act,
show undue preference to any consumer of electricity but may differentiate according
to the consumer's load factor, power factor, voltage, total consumption of electricity
during any specified period or the time at which the supply is required or the geographical
position of any area, the nature of supply and the purpose for which the supply
- No tariff or part of any tariff may ordinarily be amended more frequently than once
in any financial year, except in respect of any changes expressly permitted under
the terms of any fuel surcharge formula as may be specified.
- The Commission may require a licensee or a generating company to comply with such
procedures as may be specified for calculating the expected revenues from the tariff
and charges which he or it is permitted to recover.
- If any licensee or a generating company recovers a price or charge exceeding the
tariff determined under this section, the excess amount shall be recoverable by
the person who has paid such price or charge along with interest equivalent to the
bank rate without prejudice to any other liability incurred by the licensee.
Notwithstanding anything contained in section 62, the Appropriate Commission shall
adopt the tariff if such tariff has been determined through transparent process
of bidding in accordance with the guidelines issued by the Central Government.
Procedure for tariff order.
Provision of subsidy by State Government.
- An application for determination of tariff under section 62 shall be made by a generating
company or licensee in such manner and accompanied by such fee, as may be determined
- Every applicant shall publish the application, in such abridged form and manner,
as may be specified by the Appropriate Commission.
- The Appropriate Commission shall, within one hundred and twenty days from receipt
of an application under sub-section (1) and after considering all suggestions and
objections received from the public,-
- issue a tariff order accepting the application with such modifications or such conditions
as may be specified in that order;
- reject the application for reasons to be recorded in writing if such application
is not in accordance with the provisions of this Act and the rules and regulations
made thereunder or the provisions of any other law for the time being in force:
Provided that an applicant shall be given a reasonable opportunity of being heard
before rejecting his application.
- The Appropriate Commission shall, within seven days of making the order, send a
copy of the order to the Appropriate Government, the Authority, and the concerned
licensees and to the person concerned.
- Notwithstanding anything contained in Part X, the tariff for any inter-State supply,
transmission or wheeling of electricity, as the case may be, involving the territories
of two States may, upon application made to it by the parties intending to undertake
such supply, transmission or wheeling, be determined under this section by the State
Commission having jurisdiction in respect of the licensee who intends to distribute
electricity and make payment therefor:
- A tariff order shall, unless amended or revoked, shall continue to be in force for
such period as may be specified in the tariff order.
If the State Government requires the grant of any subsidy to any consumer or class
of consumers in the tariff determined by the State Commission under section 62,
the State Government shall, notwithstanding any direction which may be given under
section 108, pay, within in advance in the manner as may be specified , by the State
Commission the amount to compensate the person affected by the grant of subsidy
in the manner the State Commission may direct, as a condition for the licence or
any other person concerned to implement the subsidy provided for by the State Government:
Provided that no such direction of the State Government shall be operative if the
payment is not made in accordance with the provisions contained in this section
and the tariff fixed by State Commission shall be applicable from the date of issue
of orders by the Commission in this regard. .
Development of market.
The Appropriate Commission shall endeavour to promote the development of a market
(including trading) in power in such manner as may be specified and shall be guided
by the National Electricity Policy referred to in section 3 in this regard..